Cairns/Brisbane – 29th May

Happy Birthday to me!
Had a lie in until 6:30! Tried to go back to sleep but couldn’t so I got up and got on with my packing. I received a couple of messages, wrote a couple of e-mails and got myself ready for breakfast at 9am. I enjoyed a pot of tea, a mushroom and cheese omelette (gorgeous!), melon, peanut butter on toast, jam on toast, orange juice and some croissant! I was definitely full after that lot.

I said goodbye to some of the tour that were leaving at 10am for the airport and then went back up to my room to finish packing and check out by 11am.
I thought I might go and have a look around the shops and perhaps find a market. I went back to the same market I had visited before but it was closed and not open until 4. I then walked around the block trying to find something interesting to look at. As it was extremely hot and humid I decided that I would go back to the hotels air conditioned foyer. I bought a bottle of water and when I got back settled down for an Internet browsing session.
At about 1pm the minibus came to pick up myself and another couple. When I got to the airport the check-in desks for my flight were closed so I started the queue. I only had to wait about 10minutes and then got checked-in. Fortunately, my bags were well under weight! Cairns airport is not that large and it didn’t take long for me to get my bearings and decide what to have for a late lunch. Hungry Jacks (Burger King) it was and I sat with the others. Unfortunately, their flight had been cancelled and they had been rerouted which meant they wouldn’t be home until gone 10pm!
The flight was a little delayed in boarding and was uneventful apart from the two girls who arrived very late and made me undo my belt (it was a little tighter after all the food I had consumed!) to get in. Then later in the flight they made me get up again because they wanted to move to another row of seats. It was only a two hour flight so I don’t know what their problem was.
By the time I got to Brisbane it was dark. It took awhile to collect my case but I just made it to the next train without having a half hour wait. The journey took about 40 minutes and it was quite late by the time I got to the Meriton apartment in central Brisbane. The guy in reception took ages and even answered the phone while he was serving me! Not impressed! I eventually got to my room desperate for the loo and had 10 minutes to pop out to get provisions for supper and breakfast. Fortunately there was a 7-11 nearby and I picked up bread and peanut butter.
Then it was time for my pre arranged Skype with Elsie, Dad and Caroline and Liz. It was lovely to hear Elsie sing happy birthday and to chat to Dad, Caroline and Liz and to catch up with news from home!
I finished the day with a bit of knitting in front of the tv – bliss.
Finally, a big thank you and love to everyone who sent me birthday wishes either on Facebook, the blog, iMessages, email, ecards or whatsapp! I know there are some cards on there way to me but I will have to wait until I get back to Byron Bay for them! 
Quote for today:


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s